Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Picasso + Delacroix.


On my third visit to the Louvre in 3 weeks, I decided to skipped Napoleon's porcelain collection (blue and white flowers start to get a bit dull after awhile), and in honor of my visitors, headed straight for the major tourist destinations: Mona Lisa, Nike of Samothrace, and the Venus de Milo. After checking these things off the list, we wandered into a huge room in the Denon Wing, where there was a temporary exhibit set up comparing Picasso's paintings/sketches and the Delacroix painting that inspired them: "Femmes d'Alger." Intended to coincide with a major exhibition happening right now at the Grand Palais called "Picasso and his Masters," this was a little sneak preview for me. Apparently the d'Orsay has a similar set-up with Manet's "Déjeuner sur l'herbe." 

I'm making a beeline for the Grand Palais tomorrow morning, hopefully early enough to beat the massive line that has snaked all the way to the Champs since it opened in early October. I promise a full report.

No comments: